Sunday 9 September 2012

Welcome to edu-digicritic


Welcome to edu-digicritic

Thinking about the role of technology in education–information and communications technology, specifically–presents lots of ambiguities and unknowns.

Certainly there are enthusiasts who see ICT as creating a positive revolution in education. Others think we need to pay attention because the digital has become the environment of our students and we have to understand and use it if we are to serve them well.

On another side are those who are fearful of what we are moving into as a society, with criticisms like those of Neil Postman when he wrote “Amusing ourselves to death.”

I can find much to support in each of those positions. When I started to write a dissertation on technology in education several years ago, I discovered (after far too long) that I couldn’t come down on any one position to build an argument and support it, so I changed my topic.

Now I want to come back to the issues that face us around technology in education. I hope that the form of a blog, with its call and response format, will allow for engaging discussions and once in a while some conclusions.

My posts to the blog will take two forms. Some will be short items about things that I run across and want to tell others about and to comment on. Others will be longer items that make an argument about an issue.

Thanks for reading this far. I hope you will come back or subscribe and take part in the discussion.
Larry

No comments:

Post a Comment